(Flute, Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon only)
In the autumn term, there will be two levels of our standard ‘sight-reading’-type woodwind workshops:
Ideal for those who are comfortably underway on their instrument, sight-reading basic note and rhythm patterns confidently and perhaps playing at around Grade 3 – 4 level. This is an opportunity to acquire or extend ensemble skills in a friendly, supportive environment.
The improver group appeals to a range of players, including:
- Those who have already ‘outgrown’ the easy-level workshops
- Rusty ‘returners’ who want a gentle, but not too basic, reintroduction to playing
- Those at – or above – the top end of the guide ability level but who nonetheless prefer to play repertoire well within their comfort zone, allowing them to focus on polishing their skills
- Experienced musicians who have only recently taken up their woodwind instrument but can read music fluently and play up-to-pitch
Our music consists of a mixture of light classical, traditional and original pieces, specifically designed to strengthen sight-reading skills and build confidence. Learn some of the techniques and terminology used in ensemble, band and orchestral contexts while having fun making music with others.
The Improvers’ Woodwind group sometimes uses some of the same repertoire as the Intermediate level, but this is approached more gradually.
Interested? Check our Info, Dates & Venues page to find the next suitable workshop. Parts are specially arranged to suit the confidence and ability level of participants, so it is important that you book in advance, letting us know your instrument and a little about your approximate standard and previous musical experience. Our contact e-mail address can be found at the foot of the page.
Added to our programme by popular request. You should be reasonably familiar with the working range of the instrument, have quite a bit of previous ensemble experience and be comfortable about sight-reading in a variety of not-too-intimidating key and time signatures – so a confident Grade 4 – 5+
Repertoire consists of a mixture of classical, traditional and original pieces, designed to:
- Strengthen sight-reading skills and build confidence
- Increase awareness of intonation, phrasing and balance
- Increase awareness of the role of your part within the ensemble
- Produce a satisfying musical result
Interested? Check our Info, Dates & Venues page to find the next suitable workshop. Places are limited, so please book in advance, letting us know your instrument, approximate standard and a little about your previous ensemble experience. Our contact e-mail address can be found at the foot of the page.